Home College Hobart Defeats Nichols

Hobart Defeats Nichols


GENEVA, N.Y.—Hobart College senior Peter Ryan (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) scored the game-winning goal for the Statesmen with 3:28 left in regulation to secure a 4-3 win over Nichols in a non-league game played tonight at The Cooler. Hobart improves to 11-5-0, while the Bison fall to 11-3-2 this year.

Sophomore Carl Belizario (Dorval, Quebec) led the Statesmen with a goal and two assists. First-year Andrew Silard (Greenwich, Conn.) and junior Mac Olson (Grosse Pointe, Mich.) each added a goal and an assist. Junior goalie Lino Chimienti (Montreal, Quebec) played all 60 minutes between the pipes for Hobart and made 36 saves.

Frank Bulter scored twice for Nichols. Paul Prescott logged two assists. Alex Larson played 59:08 in goal and finished with 42 saves.

The Bison got on the board first with a power-play goal by Bulter 7:00 into the first period. Butler tipped in a shot by Paul Prescott from the right faceoff dot. Tyler Beasley also earned an assist on the goal. At 12:17, Belizario answered for the Statesmen. His power-play goal came off after passes from sophomore Jon Neal (Encinitas, Calif.) and Olson. Just 37 seconds later, Silard slid a shot just inside the left post to give Hobart a 2-1 lead. First-year Colin Clapton (Canton, Mass.) and Belizario set up the play.

The Bison got another power-play goal to tie things up at 2-2 at 8:16 in the second period. This time the goal came from Chris Gularte right after a faceoff win by Scott Cuthrell. With 3:47 left in the middle period, Olson gave the lead back to Hobart with his fifth goal of the season. Olson collected a pass from Belizario and shot from deep in the right circle. Sophomore Nick Bingaman (Paradise Valley, Ariz.) also registered an assist on the play.

Just 29 seconds into the third period, Butler struck again for the Bison, knotting the game at 3-3. Prescott once again set up the play. With 9:01 left in the game, the Statesmen took a penalty for tripping, but with 11 seconds left in the Bison power play, Nichols was whistled for a high sticking penalty. It ended up that neither team could capitalize on their power play attempts. However 44 seconds later, Ryan sent a shot on goal that trickled just over the line. Silard and senior Sean Rudy (Long Sault, Ontario) earned the assists. Nichols pulled Larsen with 52 seconds left in the game for the extra attacker, but the Hobart defense stood tall.

The Statesmen finished with a 46-39 advantage. Hobart went 1-for-5 on the power play, while the Bison finished 2-for-5.

The Statesmen will be back in action on Friday, Jan. 23, when they travel to take on Nazareth in an ECAC West game at 7 p.m.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here