May 11, 2020
by Janet Schultz, NYHOL
In this moment of Pause in NYS I will try and bring you up-to-date news on what’s happening in Women’s Ice Hockey in New York State. Since we have to be at home, we have to depend on emails, Facebook and the World Wide Web to get our news.
*New York native Jordan Ott has been named to serve as the Head Coach at DIII Kings College Women’s Ice Hockey Team. She is a former member of the NWHL Buffalo Beauts, played four years of college hockey at Potsdam and served there as an assistant volunteer coach.
*RIT and Head Coach Chad Davis have parted ways, along with assistant coach Hannah McGowan. R
IT gives no explanation for the release of Davis, who was hired in August 2018.
*The IIHF cancelled the 2020 Women’s World Championship originally scheduled for March 31 to April 10. They will now hold the IIHF Women’s World Championship in 2021 at Halifax and Truro, Nova Scotia, site of the 2020 event.
* Bray Ketchum (Connecticut Whale) Kate Whitman Annis (Metropolitan Riveters), Karilyn Pilch (Boston Pride), and Jack Brodt (Minnesota) have all agreed to serve a second season as General Managers in the NWHL. Last month, the Pride announced the signing of Pilch to a multi-year contract.
The NWHL’s new team in Toronto has hired Mandy Cronin, a co-founder of the Canadian Women’s Hockey League and former goaltender in the league, as GM. Cronin was general manager of the Buffalo Beauts last season, and is the founder and director of M-Power Hockey, which since 2006 has provided coaching, mentoring and consulting services for players in Toronto and neighboring communities. Cronin, who played four years for the University of Maine Black Bears between 1998-2002 and was a captain in her junior and senior seasons, lives in Toronto with her family.
*Some great news for the Buffalo Beauts of the NWHL is that Nathaniel “Nate” Oliver was named General Manager of the team for the upcoming season. Nate takes over the reins from Mandy Cronin, who heads to her honetown of Toronto to work with the new NWHL expansion team .
Previously Nate worked as the Beauts Community Services coordinator and is a writer for The Hockey Writers, an internet publication.
* Connecticut Whale general manager Bray Ketchum announced the signing of forward/defender Hanna Beattie, defender Taylor Marchin, and forward Katelynn Russ to contracts for the 2020-21 season.
* The Boston Pride have re-signed a trio of defenders who have played critical roles in their immense success. Lauren Kelly, Jenna Rheault and Mallory Souliotis have all signed contracts for the 2020-21 NWHL season.
* Saroya Tinker has signed with the Metropolitan Riveters for the 2020-21 season. Tinker was selected fourth overall by the Riveters in the 2020 NWHL Draft.
* Sarah-Eve Coutu Godbout, a forward from Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec who earlier this year completed her career at Quinnipiac, has signed a contract to join the NWHL’s new team in Toronto.
* Seventh overall NWHL draftee, University of New Hampshire captain Tori Howran has signed with the Connecticut Whale.
* Jillian Dempsey, the league’s all-time leading scorer, co-MVP of the 2019-20 season, and the captain of the Pride has re-signed for the 2020-21 season.
* Carly Jackson, a Nova Scotia native who established new records at the University of Maine in wins, goals-against average, save percentage, and shutouts, has signed a contract to play the upcoming NWHL season with the Buffalo Beauts. Jackson was selected third overall by the Beauts in the 2020 NWHL Draft.
*Kelly Babstock has returned to the NWHL and signed a contract with the Toronto expansion team after playing for the Connecticut Whale and Buffalo Beauts.