Home NYS Hockey Central Trinity Men Top Hobart

Trinity Men Top Hobart


GENEVA, N.Y.—The No. 11 Trinity College men’s ice hockey team scored with 7:10 left in the third period to top Hobart 4-3 in a non-league game played tonight at The Cooler. The Bantams improve to 6-1-1 overall, while the Statesmen are now 6-4-0.


Elie Vered led Trinity with two goals, the game-tying and game-winner, both in the third period, and two assists. Jackson Brewer added two assists. Alex Morin started in goal and played 49:43. He finished with 33 saves. Nathaniel Heilbron came in for 10:17 in the second period, when Morin was called for a 10-minute misconduct penalty. Heilbron allowed two goals and made six stops.


Three different Statesmen scored in the loss. Sophomore Mitch Beyer (Clifton Park, N.Y.) led the team with two assists. Junior Lino Chimienti (Montreal/Quebec) played all but the final 1:44 in goal, when Hobart pulled him for the extra attacker, but was unable to capitalize. Chimienti finished with 25 saves.


After a scoreless first period that saw no penalties. The second period had 11 penalties for a total of 38 penalty minutes between the teams, as well as four goals. At 7:51 in, sophomore Nick Bingaman (Paradise Valley, Ariz.) slid in a shot after passes from senior Tommaso Travesa (Torino, Italy) and Beyer. Bingaman’s goal came on a Statesmen power play and was his fifth of the year. The Bantams answered with their first goal at 13:04 in the second. Tyler Whitney found the back of the net off an assist from Vered. Just 3:22 later, sophomore Bobby Sokol (Belle Vernon, Pa.) put Hobart back on top with his first goal of the year. Sophomore Jon Neal and senior Ryan Michel set up the play. Then 26 seconds later, Liam McKillop tied things up against for Trinity. Brewer and Vered earned the assists.


The Statesmen came inches away from adding another goal in the middle period. Senior Bronson Kovacs (Sault Ste Marie, Ontairo) clanged a shot off the post with 7:50 remaining in the period and Sokol banged a shot off the post with4:10 on the clock.


At 6:56 into the third period, junior Ben Gamache (Longlac, Ontario) chipped in his third goal of the season to give the Statesmen a 3-2 advantage. Junior Bo Webster (Aurora, Ontario) and Beyer tallied the assists. Then Vered powered the Bantam comeback. He notched his first goal of the game at 9:54 and it came off a pass from Greg Rooney. Then Vered struck again at 12:50 in for what proved to be the game winner off a feed from Brewer.


The Statesmen finished 1-for-4 on the power play and killed all five of Trinity’s power-play attempts. Hobart held a 42-29 advantage in shots.


The Statesmen will be back in action on Jan. 2 and 3, when they play in the 2015 New Year’s College Holiday Classic in Lake Placid, N.Y. Hobart will take on Southern Maine on Jan. 2 at 4 p.m., and then play Middlebury on Jan. 3 at 7 p.m.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here