UTICA, NY – The 13th annual New York Sash Teddy Bear Toss will take place on December 9, 2017 at the Utica Memorial Auditorium as the Utica College men’s hockey team hosts Neumann University in United Collegiate Hockey Conference action at 7 p.m.
Fans are asked to bring a new stuffed animal to the game. When Utica scores its first goal, fans throw their teddy bears onto the ice. All toys will be collected by New York Sash and donated to local children this coming holiday season.The annual event is a partnership between New York Sash and Utica College to raise toys for local children in need. Through this event over 30,000 stuffed animals have been donated and distributed to local children in need throughout the holiday season.
The annual event has sold out for six consecutive seasons and this year WKTV’s affiliate station CBS Utica will televise the contest throughout the Mohawk Valley.
Last season, forward Kevin Valenti (Queensbury, NY/Northern Cyclones (EHL)) tipped home the game-winner with 1:03 left in overtime to lift the Pioneers to a 3-2 victory over visiting Morrisville State in front of a sold out crowd at the 12th annual New York Sash Teddy Bear Toss.
Teddy Bear Toss Fun Facts:
– The first New York Sash Teddy Bear Toss game was played on Dec. 6, 2005 against Hamilton. UC won 4-2 and 1,713 fans attended.
– The Pioneers are now 9-2-1 all-time in Teddy Bear Toss games.
– 2015 was the first time the Pioneers used a penalty shot goal to ignite the Teddy Bear Toss, scored by senior captain Joel Wetmore.
– The Pioneers have scored the first goal in all but two TBT games.
– The fastest goal scored was in 2009 when Tim Coffman set off the toss 1:28 into the contest.
– Three different players have scored the Teddy Bear Toss goal twice. Colin Kingston (2005, 2006), Tim Coffman (2008, 2009) and Ridge Garbutt (2011, 2013).
– No one on the current UC roster has scored the coveted Teddy Bear Toss goal.