PINE VALLEY, N.Y. — Top-seeded Elmira College women’s ice hockey (12-1-0) defeated sixth-seeded Manhattanville College (4-5-0) in shutout fashion, 3-0, in the United Collegiate Hockey Conference (UCHC) semifinals on Saturday evening. With the win, the three-time defending UCHC champion Soaring Eagles will host fifth-seeded Nazareth College for the UCHC Thompson Trophy on Tuesday, April 6, at 7:00 p.m.
The Soaring Eagles dominated play from start to finish and never trailed at any point of the contest. Elmira held a decisive 45-15 advantage in shots on goal. EC was also 1-for-4 on the power play, while the Valiants went 0-for-2.
Precision passing led to the first goal of the game as Tristen Tolan ’21 scored at the 4:52 mark of the first period. A pass from Jess Adams ’21 in the neutral zone found Brooke McArdle ’22 on the left side of the ice. McArdle gained the zone before snapping a cross-ice pass to Tolan on the right post, where she one-timed it past Manhattanville’s Franny Gerardi for the goal.
Then, at 9:09, Kelly Matthews ’23 doubled Elmira’s lead. In a scrum, a shot from the point by Sydney Harris ’21 was redirected by Claire Meeder ’23 and placed on goal. Gerardi was unable to cover the puck up, as the rebound leaked out to the left post, where Matthews punched it in to give Elmira a 2-0 advantage.
In the second period, Elmira more than doubled up the Valiants in shots at 17-8. That advantage led to another Soaring Eagle goal, this time from Emma Crocker ’21.
On the power play, Crocker cleaned up a rebound on the left post to push the Purple and Gold’s lead to 3-0 at 12:58. Morgan Mordini ’22 and Madi Morton ’24 were credited with assists on the power-play tally.
Elmira had two power-play chances, and outshot the Valiants, 15-5, in the third period but neither team was able to find the back of the net as the Soaring Eagles closed out Manhattanville in shutout fashion, 3-0.
Elizabeth Hanson ’21 picked up the win by making 15 saves in 59:54 of action. It was her 11th win of the season and the fifth shutout of her senior year.
News and Notes
- Elmira secured a spot in the UCHC title game.
- EC will play for its fourth consecutive UCHC championship.
- The Soaring Eagles have won their last six games in shutout fashion.
- Tolan’s game-opening goal went down as tonight’s game-winner.
- Tolan and Matthews are tied for the team lead in goals with 14 each.
- Crocker’s goal was scored on the power play.
- Crocker moved into a two-way tie for 10th place in EC history for career points (109).
- Crocker is now tied for 10th in program history for power-play goals. (13)
- Hanson is moved into sole possession of seventh place in EC history for career wins (33).
- Hanson is eighth in EC history in career saves (572).
The Elmira women clash with the fifth-seeded Golden Flyers of Nazareth on Tuesday, April 6, in the UCHC championship game. The puck is set to drop at 7:00 p.m. at the Murray Athletic Center.